The most used Linux Distribution, indirectly or directly, Debian is like a father to many big and small distros.Today Debian team announced the release of Debian Stretch, the new Debian release.This release really excites us.Wondering, Why? Find yourself by reading the full post.
What is new in here?
Before we start, We want to thank Ian Murdock, the man without whom we must not be having the Linux as interesting as it is now to use and of course the availability of a variety of other distros based on Debian can't be ignored.
What is new in here?
- Well starting from the very first thing that may decide whether you'll try or use new Debian or not and it is, of course, the system requirement.The new Debian Stretch has more new adds to the system support.With one new added architecture and one removal may make some difference.64-bit little endian MIPS has been added and sadly PowerPC is no more supported in Debian 9.Other than that 32-bit PC(i386) is not kicked out of the supported list, as per many other distributions dropping the support of it.ARM EABI, ARMv7, 64-bit Pc are some other supported architectures.
- With the release of Debian 9, Firefox and Thunderbird are making a return.Replacing the long time occupied at their places Iceweasel and Icedove are removed.
- MariaDB is now the default MySQL variant.MariaDB 10.1 has been added to the same.Apache 2.4.25,Chromium 59.0.0371.86, GIMP 2.8.18, LibreOffice 5.2, systemd 232, Thunderbird 45.8 are some of the update packages.With the inclusion of 15346 new packages, a total of 61687 packages is in here in the Debian 9.Out of which most of the packages, about 29859 packages have been updated.
- In Debian 9 Linux 4.9 is the base Kernel.
- UEFI boot is now better than before, so Windows Laptops must not get any issue in installing Debian 9 on their system.
- Debian Stretch has wide range of almost all major DEs, GNOME 3.2KDE Plasma 5.8, LXDE, MATE 1.16, Xfce 4.12
- Xorg server doesn't require root anymore.
- New deb.debian.org mirror has been introduced.All major to minor main archive, port archive, security archive are available in there.
We will be back with full detailed post on Debian 9 Stretch.Till then You may give it a try.