Today we are here to learn how to do a dual boot means two OS in same PC. We are going to learn how to dual boot Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr along with Windows OS.
After we got the above things, we are all set to go. Now let's fire up the PC and tweak the boot loader to read from USB or DVD you just created. once we did this, the installer of Ubuntu will pop up.
1. As you can see in below screen snap the installer of Ubuntu is opened up. There are few basic requirements that should be completed and don't forget to check on Third party MP3 plugin. Now let's continue to next step.
2. Now as per below screenshot my Ubuntu installer not detecting the Windows 8 OS but it's there. You can choose the option
“Install Ubuntu along with Windows” to reduce the pain of partitioning, etc. But we not 100% sure about this method. So will be explaining in more detail how it works. Check on “Something else” and proceed to next step.
3. WARNING: Now as you can see in below screensnap, I have marked where exactly my windows is located. We don't have to touch those drives otherwise say bye-bye to Windows OS.
4. Now we didn't touch the Windows drives, let's move to other normal drive. And let me remind you once again keep A data back up of the drive in which we gonna install Ubuntu. Now after this we need to delete that partition by clicking on '-' sign or if you have already made a partition from windows then follow the same to delete it.
5. Now we got the free space, we have to create a new partition from that free space by clicking the '+' icon. After that a new window will pop up. We have to leave around 2gb free space and create a partition from remaining space. Choose disk as primary partition. The file system must be EXT4, as maximum Linux distro supports this file system. And in the end there's the mount point, make sure to select only '/' from the options. Don't choose any other mount point.
6. Now we have created a partition for installing Ubuntu Trusty Tahr. If I remember properly then we have left around 2gb of free space in previous step. We gonna use that 2gb space to create a new partition. We gonna use the file system as Swap area, as the swap area will help in painless installation and keep away the troubles.
7. Here comes the most tricky step. Many user (even I in the beginning) mess up here. We have to choose the proper position for the boot loader i.e. Grub. Remember as for the beginners we shouldn't mess up here because it can brick your system. We have to select the whole HDD means the root of the HDD (/dev/sda) as the place for boot loader. It's the first option and by default selected. So don't mess with it.
After the above steps completed, the tricky and hard part is finished. You will proceed to select your location, preferred language, Set up username and password. After this the installer will automatically install Ubuntu Trusty Tahr in your PC. Now you are just a restart away from using the newly installed Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr.
Follow the processes properly as any mistake may cause major problems, so if you are confused or having problem then comment below.
Make sure you give us a like :) and comment below!